So, a funny thing happened last weekend: apparently, I fractured my tibia. Let’s ignore the hilarious and mildly traumatic back-story for the moment. My bosses were kind enough to give me 2 weeks off from work, and while this initially sounded like an awesome idea (2 weeks of bedrest and recovery! Why, it’s like a mini-vacation!), the reality is quickly turning into one of those weird NASA sensory deprivation experiments.
See, 2 weeks turns into a long time when you are partially immobilised by a full-leg cast, but when you happen to be partially immobilised in a minuscule, one-room studio apartment, it turns into a really long time. Have you ever seen studio apartments in Asia? They are MATCHBOXES, and being stuck in a matchbox has a funny effect on you. The days blend together, the hours turn into one, you begin to forget what your neighborhood looks like, you exhaust the entertainment value of the Internet, and (most horrifying of all) you gradually become aware of all the pockets of dust around the apartment that you’d never had time to notice before, and which you now can’t avoid because there’s nowhere to run.
So, to combat the mind-numbing boredom that began to set in around day 2 (and the unquenchable urge to scrub my apartment mercilessly), I’ve come up with a few fool-proof techniques to occupy the time:
1. Learn to French-braid your own hair.
2. Hop on the Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon.
3. Watch every movie on your harddrive, including (of course) Rear Window. Suddenly become suspicious of all your neighbours.
4. Finally study Korean, for real!
5. Discover that your cast makes a great percussion instrument, and begin drumming out beats on it in hopes of activating some kind of ancient healing energy (srsly!)
6. Try and think of clever ways to get exercise even while feeling your leg slowly atrophy (Crunches in a cast = great way to engage your core!)
Now here’s hoping that healing energy kicks in!
(p.s.: Major props to everyone who threw in to buy me a wheely office chair so I don’t have to crutch despondently around the apartment all day! Sorry this isn’t a video of me zooming around the apartment, but hopefully it’ll do. I love you people. 사랑해~~!)